Residents of IOWA can complete the form below to pre-register for a library card at the Nevada Public Library. Nevada and rural Story County residents may use Bridges for downloadable books, audiobooks, and magazines. All limited-use cards may access our databases. After pre-registering, you must visit the library to pick up your permanent library card. You must present valid proof of mailing address for full access to library materials. Please contact the library if you need assistance providing proof of address.
Obtaining a library card:
- Library cards are issued free of charge and allow cardholders free access to borrow library materials
- Bring a photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, student ID, consular card, passport, etc.)
- Bring proof of address.
- If your photo ID has your current address, that is all you need.
- If your photo ID does NOT have your current address, bring one of the following
- a copy of your lease
- a piece of mail sent to your address
- a bill containing your name and address
- a check with your address
- something else with your address may be accepted
- If you don’t have anything with your address:
- We will mail you a postcard to verify your address.
- You will be limited to checking out 3 items at a time until you return that postcard as proof of your address.
- Minors between the ages of 5 and 17 need to bring a parent/guardian with them to get a library card. The parent/guardian will be asked for photo ID and proof of address.
- Library cards are valid for three years.
Limited-Use Library Cards: Limited-use cards are available for anyone 11 or older who does not meet the requirements for a general library card. Patrons must provide a valid email address to obtain a limited-use library card. Limited-use cards expire after 2 months and can be renewed in person. Patrons may apply for a general library card at any point after obtaining a limited-use card provided they have the necessary documentation. Patrons may only check out 3 items using a limited-use card. Telescope, laptops, and other materials at the director or designee’s discretion are not available for checkout under this card.
Open Access Patrons: The library participates in the Enrich Iowa Program through the State Library of Iowa. This program includes an Open Access agreement that allows Iowa residents to get library cards and check out physical materials at over 600 participating Iowa public and academic libraries. Nevada Public Library Open Access patrons are those residents of Iowa who live outside of our library jurisdiction and meet the additional qualifications as defined in the Open Access Agreement. Downloadable digital items are not available to Open Access patrons through the Nevada Public Library. Patrons must use a valid library card from their local library to download materials.