Quick Shortcut Links
IRS Website (forms, instructions, publications - all available online)
State of Iowa Tax Website (including forms, instructions, etc.)
Important IRS Tax Dates
- Feb 12 IRS begins accepting and processing 2020 returns
- April 15 Deadline to file a 2020 tax return without penalty
- Oct 15 Extended deadline to file a 2020 tax return after filing an extension
IRS Free File Options
If your income is less than $72,000, you may be eligible to file your taxes online for free. Visit the IRS website and use their free file online lookup tool to determine which offer best fits your needs for federal and state tax filing.
What do we have at the library?
- 1040 tax forms and instruction booklets are available outside the front entrance!
- AARP tax appointments will not be available at our library this year. This is AARP's decision, not ours. Low-contact tax appointments are available at the Ames Public Library. Make an appointment by calling AARP at 515-337-0319. Find more information here.
- If you know which tax form you need, we can print it for you through our curbside service. Library staff are not able to provide tax assistance or answer specific tax questions. Please consult your tax preparer for questions about your tax filing.
- If you plan to use an online electronic filing service, you may call to sign up for a one hour appointment to use the library’s public computers. Appointments are limited. The security and privacy of your information cannot be guaranteed, and it is always a possibility that technical issues beyond the library’s control may interrupt or otherwise cause problems with the process. More importantly, the library cannot guarantee that you will have adequate time to finish your work, and some tax websites do NOT allow you to save your progress.
- Hotspots that provide wireless internet access are available for a one week checkout, if you would like to file electronically from home. Contact the library for more information about placing a hotspot on hold.
Where to get tax forms and information
Federal Building at 210 Walnut in Des Moines (first floor – may have forms)
Order Forms: 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
Information: 1-800-829-1040 (1-800-TAX-1040)
Hoover Building, 1305 E. Walnut in Des Moines, Fourth Floor
(may have state long forms)
also the Records and Property Center at E 7th & Court Ave, 281-5370
Order Forms: 1-800-532-1531
Information: 281-3114 or 1-800-367-3388
Can’t find last year’s paperwork?
- Contact your tax preparer
OR go to
You may send completed State of Iowa tax forms to:
Iowa Income Tax - Document Processing
P.O. Box 9187
Des Moines, IA 50306-9187
Completed Federal forms are sent to:
|Form You Are Filing|
If you are NOT enclosing money:
If you ARE enclosing money
(check or money order):
||Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0002
|Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 931000
Louisville, KY 40293-1000
|This is the only 1040 form, as of 2019.
Note: addresses can vary from previous years
Taken and adopted from West Des Moines Public Library and Hudson Public Library.