Internet/Wireless Use Policy
Internet/ Wireless Use Policy
This policy applies to all users of the Nevada Public Library computers or networks. If patrons have any questions about the policy or what it means, they may contact a library staff member for more information.
The mission of the Nevada Public Library is to provide the community with current, unbiased and authoritative information and to promote enlightened citizenship, enrich personal lives, and encourage self-education. It is within this context that the Nevada Public Library offers access to the Internet equally to all library users.
The Internet offers access to many valuable local, national, and international sources of information. Be advised, however, that the Internet also contains information which may be inaccurate, outdated, or personally offensive. The Nevada Public Library does not limit access to materials. However, library computers are located in public areas that are shared by library users of all ages, backgrounds, and values. Library staff requests that computer users remain sensitive to the fact that they are occupying a public environment shared by others.
The Nevada Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Certain information is not free, and patrons are responsible for any fees incurred. The library cannot guarantee confidentiality over the Internet. Patrons entering personal information, such as credit card numbers, or social security numbers, do so at their own risk.
Patrons will not use library equipment or connections (wifi) for illegal or criminal purposes, including but not limited to:
• Violation of Iowa State law, which makes it illegal to download or purvey child pornography, purvey pornography to children or commit fraudulent acts using the Internet.
• Violation of U.S. copyright law (title 17, U.S. Code) which prohibits the unauthorized reproduction of copyright materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use.”
• Library workstations are not to be used to gain unauthorized access to the library’s or any other organization’s network or computer system.
• Patrons use library computers or wireless network at their own risk.
• Parents or guardians, not the Library or its staff, are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children. Parents and only parents may restrict their children from access to internet resources accessible through the Library. Parents are advised to supervise their children’s internet sessions.
• Nevada Public Library is not responsible or liable for any damage to personal devices that may occur from patron use of library computers or wireless network.
• The library staff is able to provide only limited technical assistance.
• Disruption of library services, inappropriate library behavior, or misuse of equipment/network may result in suspension from internet/wireless use. (See Conduct Policy.)
• Patrons are not permitted to “unplug” any library equipment in order to “plug in” their personal equipment.
• Any files saved on the library’s computers will be erased when the computer is shut down or restarted. Patrons are advised to save items to a portable drive (such as USB) or email documents to themselves for access at other times.
• Patrons may only connect headphones and storage devices to library equipment.
• Patrons may not install their own software or any additional programs onto the library's computers.
USE OF LIBRARY COMPUTERS
• All patrons who use the library computers acknowledge that they have read and understand the Nevada Public Library Internet/Wireless Use Policy posted at each computer.
• The library has laptop computers available to patrons 18 and older. (See Laptop Policy.)
• Internet use/printing will be accessible during regular library hours up to 15 minutes prior to closing.
• Internet computers may be reserved in person or by phone for the current day only.
• Patrons may reserve the internet computers up to 1 hour per day. Patrons may continue using the computer after their hour has expired as long as no one is waiting.
• Patrons must check in at the main desk before using computers.
• No more than 2 persons per computer.
• Patrons will be charged regular printing costs beginning with the first page printed. Black and White @ $.20 per page and Color @ $.30 per page.
• The library does not offer printing through the wireless network.
• The library will not guarantee wireless access or its security.
• The library does not provide any physical connectivity other than electrical outlets.
• Information downloaded from the Internet may contain a virus and users are cautioned to have virus‐checking software on their computers. The Library is not responsible for damage to a user's storage media, or computer for any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from an individual's use of the Library's Internet and/or computer services.
December 15, 2014
Revised June 18, 2018