Internet/Wireless Use Policy 2014
Internet/ Wireless Use Policy
Nevada Public Library
Internet/ Wireless Use Policy
This policy applies to all users of the Nevada Public Library computers or networks. If patrons have any questions about the policy or what it means, they may contact a library staff member for more information.
The mission of the Nevada Public Library is to provide the community with current, unbiased and authoritative information and to promote enlightened citizenship, enrich personal lives, and encourage self-education. It is within this context that the Nevada Public Library offers access to the Internet equally to all library users.
The Internet offers access to many valuable local, national, and international sources of information. Be advised, however, that the Internet also contains information, which may be inaccurate, outdated, or personally offensive. The Nevada Public Library does not limit access to materials.
The Nevada Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Certain information is not free, and the patrons are responsible for any fees incurred. The library cannot guarantee privacy or confidentiality on the Internet.
• Library connections will not be used for illegal or criminal purposes, including
• Violation of Iowa State law, which makes it illegal to download or purvey child pornography, purvey pornography to children or commit fraudulent acts using the Internet.
• Violation of U.S. copyright law (title 17, U.S. Code) which prohibits the unauthorized reproduction of copyright materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use”.
• Library workstations are not to be used to gain unauthorized access to the Library’s or any other organization’s network or computer system.
REGISTRATION FOR LIBRARY INTERNET COMPUTERS
• All patrons must register for Internet use attesting that they have read and understand the Nevada Public Library Internet/Wireless Use Policy.
• Patrons under the age of 18 are required to have a parent or guardian complete a permission form at the main desk in the presence of a library staff person.
• Story County patrons of the Nevada Public Library must have a current library card to register for Internet use.
• Visitors must present photo identification before using the library internet computers.
• Patrons use library computers or wireless network at their own risk.
• Nevada Public Library is NOT responsible or liable for any damage to personal devices that may occur from patron use of library computers or wireless network.
• The library does not provide e-mail accounts/addresses.
• The library staff is able to provide only limited technical assistance.
• Disruption of library services, inappropriate library behavior, or misuse of equipment/network may result in suspension from internet/wireless use. (See Conduct Policy.)
• Patrons are not permitted to “unplug” any library equipment in order to “plug in” their personal equipment.
• Patrons may not connect any items other than headphones and storage devices to library equipment.
USE OF LIBRARY COMPUTERS
• The library has laptop computers available to patrons 18 and older. (See Laptop Policy.)
• Internet use/printing will be accessible during regular library hours up to 15 minutes prior to closing.
• Internet computers may be reserved in person or by phone for the current day only.
• Patrons may reserve the internet computers up to 1 hour per day.
• Patrons must check in at the main desk before using computers.
• No more than 2 persons per computer.
• Patrons will be charged regular printing costs beginning with the first page printed. Black and White @ $.20 per page and Color @ $.30 per page
• Staff will not differentiate between juvenile and adult users of this service as they do with library-owned computers. The library will assume that those under 18 years of age in possession of the necessary equipment will have attained this equipment with the knowledge and approval of their parents or guardians.
• The library does not offer printing through the wireless network.
• The library will not guarantee wireless access or its security.
• The library does not provide any physical connectivity other than electrical outlets.
December 15, 2014